This video by author Jim Trelease gives a couple practical hints:
- Get comfortable but not too comfortable. Don't put your feet above your heart or you'll snooze off.
- Read in parts, chapter by chapter or at least scene by scene. But I say that if you just read a page or two a day, the book will last forever and you won't get much out of it. Read chunk by chunk, hopefully chapter by chapter.
- Use sticky notes or actually write in the book to interact with what you read.
- I go on wikipedia for character lists when I find myself reading a book with long lists of characters with confusing names. Or just bookmark your own list.
- Take the book everywhere you go. You never know when you'll have down time. Books are portable.
- Read in bed with a bright bulb. It's a nice habit to get into.