Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How to Read a Book You DON'T Want to Read


This video by author Jim Trelease gives a couple practical hints:  

  • Get comfortable but not too comfortable. Don't put your feet above your heart or you'll snooze off.
  • Read in parts, chapter by chapter or at least scene by scene. But I say that if you just read a page or two a day, the book will last forever and you won't get much out of it. Read chunk by chunk, hopefully chapter by chapter.
  • Use sticky notes or actually write in the book to interact with what you read.
  • I go on wikipedia for character lists when I find myself reading a book with long lists of characters with confusing names. Or just bookmark your own list.
  • Take the book everywhere you go. You never know when you'll have down time. Books are portable.
  • Read in bed with a bright bulb. It's a nice habit to get into.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading the book If I Stay, by Gayle Forman, and I will admit that I cried through most of it. I found that it was a very heart-rending book to read and one that will relate to teens. If you do decide to read this novel however, it would be best to do it in private, unless you're okay with people seeing you break down into tears. Be sure to also read The Story Behind The Story in the back of the book.

    ReplyDelete