Sunday, June 2, 2013

Teen Volunteers?

Hi Guys!
I hope that some of you will be able to stop by and lend a hook on Pirate Day. There's also Middle Earth Day, Dinosaur Day... 

Just want to congratulate Le'Ciang again for being SALUTATORIAN -- that is so MAJOR. And we knew her when.  

And also...hope to hear soon from Monica, as she packs up and flies to SAUDI Arabia. Here's hoping she'll blog in with us about what THAT'S like.  

I just finished reading Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. I was not surprised to see in the back that her favorite authors included Terry Pratchett, Diana Wynne Jones, because a) I loved this authors too and b) I loved Seraphina! Hartman creates a wonderfully rich world. There are dragons, and there are humans, and they've signed an uneasy peace but still hate each other. The dragons, however, are able to take human shape, and that's where poor outsider Seraphina comes into it... Her mom took human shape and now she's not one thing of the other, an abomination. A pretty abomination who sings like an angel, has visions and is plenty smart -- well, geez, she IS the heroine.

Looking forward to seeing you all this summer! Did I say I needed volunteers? Did I mention the Diary of a Wimpy Kid Party and the whoopee cushions?

1 comment:

  1. My family and I have been in Saudi Arabia for a couple of days now. We spent about a month here last summer, and that is what we are doing again now. As you can imagine, it's very different from Florida. There are some buildings around that marks this place as Riyadh, but besides that it's all sand. This sand is not the soft, white silky sand we have at our beaches, but gritty and yellow (almost like dirt). If you look outside your windows here you can see that the air and sky has a yellowish hue from all the sand that is in the air. I guess that's all for now, but I'll continue to post about Saudi and maybe do some book reviews while I'm here. ~Monica

    ReplyDelete